Someone recently asked me if I photographed senior pictures for guys…and the answer is a resounding YES! I’ll be honest, most of the time time is a pretty gal in front of my lens, but I love working with guys…they are so much fun and laid back about it all. This spring we’ve had more boys than girls…and it’s been so much fun!
There’s so much out there for girls about how to prepare, that I thought I’d take a few moments and share some of my tips for the guys!
- Hair: Don’t get your hair cut the week of your senior pictures…do it 2 weeks so it grows out just a tad
- Face: Make sure you are clean shaven (if that is how you usually are) if you have a beard, go ahead and trim it up. Make sure you are clean. Don’t worry about blemishes…those can all be zapped out with a bit of editing.
- Clothes: I’ll give some ideas for what to wear a bit later, but make sure your shorts are not too short, that you have socks, that you bring appropriate shoes and that your clothes are ironed.
- relax: This can be super fun, but you have to relax. I shoot pretty quickly, so I promise it won’t take forever…but try to relax.
- Locations: Share with me your style. What you like, what you don’t. I have so many great custom locations that we can choose from.
- Making it Personal: Let me know if there are things that are important to you….a sport, a pet, a hobby etc…we’ll make sure to incorporate them all!
- What to wear: So make sure everything is clean. I recommend 3 different changes of clothing. Something a bit more dressy, something really causal and something in between. Layers are always great. I don’t recommend polo shirts as they cling, but button downs with a t-shirt underneath is perfect. Textures are always awesome too (like ripped jeans)
- Posing: If something doesn’t feel natural or “right” let me know. If you are not comfortable, then it will show in your images.
- Glasses: If you wear glasses and they are transitions, please don’t wear them, I will never see your eyes through the dark lenses.
Shoot the studio an email if you are interested in our senior pictures. We’ll send you a copy of our Senior Studio Magazine that will help you get to know us a bit better and help you prepare for our session!
So one of the most fun sessions that I’ve had in a long time was with this handsome guy! We shot his session the morning before he left for Europe and it was so much fun! I love his choice (with Mom’s help of course) of clothing. We shot at Elon University because that is where he’s headed in the fall! It was a privilege to be able to capture you Ben, all the best next year! I know your mom and dad are super proud of you and I can’t wait to hear all about your college adventures!