I knew as soon as I wrapped up this session that I was going to adore it…and I do! Their love for their sweet BIG blue eyed baby boy was so evident and I just loved capturing the sweet connections they shared. I was sharing with another photographer about the experience and she asked “what do you think makes a fantastic session” A few years ago or so I did an blog post about the anatomy of a great session, but I’ had to revamp everything and that information was lost so I thought that I would write it again! This is both for the photographer and the client…
- Location! I work REALLY hard at my locations…that they do all of the above for my clients. You will not find me at the local park or typical photographers “hot spot” I love to find dreamy, airy locations that bring help my clients feel relaxed and that brings out their personality!
- Clothing: It does make a huge difference….if the client is too dressed up, then we can’t get them on the ground, if the kids are not comfortable, it will show and you want your family to be unique. In this session, mom knew ahead of time that she wanted a canvas for her walls. I encouraged her to not go matchy matchy..but to make sure that there was some coordination …one of the first things someone said after seeing the gallery was “I love what they are wearing” it really makes a difference.
- Planning: You have to plan. I knew in my head some of the things that I was going to do with them, Don’t expect that if you just show up….snap…and leave that you will get fantastic results! I also ask my clients what they want to do with the images so that I know if I’m shooting for an album or a wall gallery.
- Attitude: This family was excited about their pictures, attitude and excitement really showed through! I know a lot of times, mom’s are the ones that decide to do pictures, and drag dad along…but oh the memories! If everyone can get excited and realize in the big picture what we are doing…it makes a huge difference in the session! I also promise that I will make it as fun as I can, that’s my job as a professional photographer. I often have dads say “well that was the most fun I’ve ever had taking pictures”
- Relax: It’s so hard, but do what you can to make your client feel at ease, help them to relax, encourage a glass of wine if they are really nervous! Often they are worried about their children and if they will behave or if their outfits were the right choice! I assure my clients that I have it all under control and that it will be amazing! Do some ‘break the ice” pictures just so that they can see it will all be fine! I often start with the oldest child as this helps mom see “okay, she really does know what she’s doing”
- Willing to think outside the box: Sometimes for the best shots, you (and your client) need to be able to think outside the box… don’t be afraid to try new things, and clients, often it will be their favorite shots.
So those are my few bullets for a great session! I’m sure you have things that you can ad, but if you are struggling to get unique and fun shots, ask yourself if you are doing all of the above!
In other news…I just looked at the calendar and YIKES!! It’s a crazy spring!
- Orchard Sessions are all sold out except for one spot!
- Chicks and Pics are booking quickly
- Next week I’m beginning a series on Beaches in NC (my favorite hot spots, restaurants, locations, and tips for beach pictures)
And now…for one of my favorite recent sessions 🙂