Preparing for a generational session! One of the things I love most about beach sessions, is that often I’m working with multiple families and multiple generations. That is such a treasure as I know I’m helping to preserve precious memories. Grandparents with grand kids, a couple in their golden years when they don’t often have pictures taken, adult children who often don’t get to see each other, all of these are so special. Yes its usually a lot of people, and it takes a lot of coordination on the person planning (we understand and appreciate all that you do) So how do you prepare? Well here are a few tips!
- We try to work from youngest to oldest (capturing the littlest ones first) when they are fresh and not as worn out. We typically will do the individual kiddos, then their families then the large groups as a whole.
- We move fast. One of the things people say over and over again, is that they an not believe how quick it goes. Part of the “build up” about family portraits, especially for dads, is that it will “take forever” but our clients are always pleasantly surprised with how quickly it moves and we try to have fun all the while long.
- What do we wear? Well when capturing large groups, we suggest that you just keep in the same color pallet, just so it coordinates. You will see from the images below, it looks great…each with their own personality!
- Older folks. We work hard at making the process as easy as possible. If you have family members who have mobility issues or who will have trouble sitting on the ground, please let us know. We have lots of ways to work around that.
- Remember that we are trying to capture several families as a whole and also individual families, while we work fast, this is means that each family will receive a “mini session” within the larger session. So when it comes to viewing your images, each family will have a small gallery (about 5-7 images) along with the large group images. If you are interested in each family having a full session of images, then each family needs to book it’s own session.
- Connection: Our number one goal is capturing connection among your family! This means we will have you all close and up in each others personal space. Just prepare for it, let kids know (especially teenagers) that the closer you all are, the more you are touching, the better the shots!
We are now booking our fall sessions both at the beach and at our studio location in Burlington NC. We would love to work with your family however big or small you are and capture some memories that you will cherish! To schedule your consultation and studio tour, please email the studio and we’ll get the process started!
We loved this family session at Holden Beach, what a fun family! It makes all the difference in the pictures when a family has fun together. They were celebrating a huge anniversary and I’m thrilled that the chose to capture family pictures. The were easy they were to work with and how much love was evident! This is the perfect example of a generation session and how special they are!